Monday, August 20, 2012

Understand as much as we can

Since I heard the news that the members of the band would leave Franco and Franco would either go solo or just  replace the other band members, I can't help but re-post my entry in multiply here.  It was such a good band collaboration that my album review earns a re-post this early.  I won't wait for multiply's migration tool.  Here you go, posted last  Apr 26, '10 9:40 PM -ahmsterdamned


Self-titled album
Brainwashed by NU107’s never-ending advertisement of the band called Franco, a so-called super group consisting of members from Parokya ni Edgar, Urbandub, Queso and Franco Reyes the man from Cebu.  Banking on a single song that is heard on the airwaves and the roaster of talents from the band, I instantly assumed it’s not a one hit wonder thing.  I guess that would be reason enough to buy myself their album.   It’s an eleven track self-titled album, I don’t know the story behind it but then again, like I always say, who cares as long as the music is great.  I tried listening to the album and here’s what I think.

The music was rough, lyrics are poetic and deep, most of which I don’t understand so I’d consider that as deep.  Music that you can lightly bang your head on and jump to at the same time.  A high pitched vocal reminds me of the Dawn’s front man Jett Pangan, which is a ‘wow’ for me.  I can identify a fair amount of Urbandub’s beat, can’t say much about Queso though (not much of a fan).  And yah man, Ska/Reggae rhythm is prominent on the background rasta man.   

Personal favorites are ‘Touch the Sky’, ‘Song For The Suspect’, ‘Memory Kill’ and the giveaway single that made my purchase possible ‘Cast Away’.    

‘Touch the sky’ feels really encouraging, uplifting and at the same time carefree.  It started off with a heavy guitar intro, followed by a Jamaican upbeat lyric and rhythm, some hwang-hwang guitar riffs, this song is excellent.  “Me no worry you no worry touch the sky.”

‘Cast Away’ is different, it is cool sounding and the type of song that you won’t care what the lyric is telling.  I describe it as ‘feel good’ if there is such a thing, no, ‘peace’ is a better word to describe it.

‘Memory Kill’ just caught my attention; it’s like having a failed hard drive, reminding us to forget. “We’re flailing to decide, desperate to deny.  How can this be?  Kill that memory.”

‘Song For The Suspect’, strong, dictating and fighting for something, yet I don’t get it.  Can’t get enough of it maybe it’s because of JAH.  ”Understand as much as we can, as much as we can understand one love.”

All songs are of the same level, as a disclaimer I’m not considering ‘Tetrahydrochloridedub’ as a song, not one is a what-you-call a filler song.  Each tells a different story making the album a powerhouse.  

The cd packaging is dark and somewhat a piece of canvas.  They have the pearl jam save the earth thing going-on, out with the hard plastic and let’s use paper that can be recycled.  One flaw of this kind of packaging is that the glue eventually sticks to the cd.  Regardless, kudos to the designer, it’s not like I understand the ‘JAH’ thing but ONE LOVE & JAH BLESS!

Let us support OPM, good music is worth the peso spent.



With  Franco Reyes outside the good old 70's bistro Oct 11, '11
Thanks AdventurousFeet for the photo <W

No comments:

Post a Comment