So here's how I did my upgrade via research
1. I downloaded the PSP Firmware 6.20 update from
2. Followed the instruction (it's in PORTUGUESE so I translated it using google translate).
|Loaded the UPDATE folder at the PSP->GAME folder of the Memory Card|
via the computer's explorer using the PC's USB connection
Went to the Game menu and found the update under the Memory Stick sub-menu
|The background turned pinkish red while the update is installing|
|It got back to it's original color scheme after the update|
Now the PSP has the original 6.20 firmware
3. After the 6.20 firmware update I followed the video from youtube to install the custom firmware 6.20 PRO-B6
3.1. Downloaded CFW 6.20 PRO-B6 from http://www.sendspace.com/file/q4cwrl
3.2. Copy and Paste the "PROUPDATE" and the "620PRO_Permanent" folders to PSP->GAME
3.3. Apply the CFW 6.20 PRO-B6 Update
|After all the updates, I got the desired CFW|
|Press 'O', it was suggested that I would not need to have a test run|
An alternate path: Roadblock!
For my black 2001 PSP, I encountered an error due to the version of the firmware installed.
|A 5.50 Prometheus-4 CFW|
* text with yellow background were taken from the link mentioned above
You could disable version.txt in the recovery menu of your CFW.
1) Hold SELECT, the VSH menu will appear
2) Look for USB Device, change it from Memory Stick to Flash 0
3) Plug your PSP in your computer, open it, scour all the folders and look for a notepad file called version.txt. Find the "9.90" line inside it and change it to "5.50" then save
|Changing the 9.90 to 5.50|
4) Unplug your PSP, hold SELECT again then return the USB Device from Flash 0 to Memory Stick.
After the alternate steps 1 to 4 were done, I just followed the same steps of updating the CFW
|Updated to 6.20|
|Applied the 6.20 PRO-B6 CFW update and the permanent patch|
Now I have two newly updated PSPs. You got to love forums and youtube for DIYs. I saved myself the pricey labor cost and gained some insights on doing PSP upgrades, I say that's a night well spent on learning a thing or two.