Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Foodographs: MNL.KIX.UKY


These are what I consumed during my Osaka and Kyoto, Japan backpacking trip.  I stuck with the menu being cooked rather than raw. I apologize for I did not eat sushi for the sole reason that I don't want my stomach ruining my vacation.

M N L - M a n i l a


I have to have lunch before boarding the plane so I settled for a
set meal at Pancake house at NAIA terminal 3

A i r b O r n e


A five hour plane ride would make anyone hungry
I got myself a ham and cheese croissant, a bottle of OMJ and a bag of Piattos
The flight attendant didn't have any change so she offered me a chocolate
chip cookie instead; I obliged because she was that cute.
K I X - O s a k a


The first meal (dinner) I had at Japan didn't fail me at all
Rice topped with shredded beef with everything on it
A cube of cold tofu and a hot serving of miso soup, refreshing!
I'm not a miso soup fan but this serving made me a believer.
We never had time to eat out during breakfast
So I settled filling my belly with bread from the grocery store
There are a lot of restaurant at the Shinsekai area;
The group agreed and settled for this picture-full with English translated menu restaurant
And seeing this would really encourage you to eat some skewers.
Later I discovered that a single skewer would cost as much as 70-140 yen
That was discouraging; then again I'll never know when can I try one again so  I'd rather
have one than regret it.  Conclusion: It was a so-so. :|
I ate the skewers with what I thought was miso soup. The miso soup thing turned out to be
a thick meat overload soup that I can classify as a menudo type food that goes
best with rice. The soup was tasty but not partnered with rice was  a complete failure.
Looking at the bright side of things, the waitress was kawaii!
Now this is what you call a (dinner) meal that is designed for me.
The place was near Shinsaibashi-suji, a quick right on a certain road :P
An eat all you can (for two hours, yes, they do have a timer for each table) meat platter
with unlimited potato salad and a large single serving of any non-alcoholic beverage.
It cost about 1950 Yen per person (around 1000 PHP); was well worth every yen if you ask me.
Our table was able to grub on 3 and a half orders of meat platters, that my friend
is what we call more than what we bargained for.  The restaurant has a very nice WC! ;)
The next day I was dying to try some noodles
After seeing this beauty I wasn't able to resist the urge to buy one
Some Naruto brainwashing noodle soup craving was completely satisfied that
one lunchtime at Tempozan harbor village 
And to add to that fabulous noodle soup is one plate of juicy pork and shrimp dim sum
A friend also gave me a cup of spiced rice which I believe came
from a Chinese restaurant
We also tried the really hot Takoyaki (Octopus) hype while waiting for the Dotombori Cruise
While going up, down and side to side walks at Umeda, we happen to come across
a cheese cake sample.  This pastry is to die for, lucky for us we were able to taste it.
One hand full size of that thing cost around 1400 Yen (around 700 PHP), amazing!
Unlike these beauties that only cost 105 Yen (around 50 PHP)
I liked this bread over all the bread I purchased in Japan.
Pancakes in a bag, it does have the syrup and all, again, amazing!
Best Gyoza I had to this date.  The shop was full and there is a line building outside.
A complete experience of dining in Japan.
This Gyoza deserves another picture. YUMMY!
Ice cream was expensive but I discovered a cheap one at the supermarket.
Lucky!  the thing is, it was not that sweet; I wanted a sweet one.

U K Y - K y o t o 


Hello Kyoto, sugar coated pretzels as appetizers.
Now to try the Udon soup, wohoo! taste like the first one but with thicker noodles.
I liked this better.
Remembering my SVI days having lunch at SM megamall's Komoro Soba
One of my favorite rice topped meal, Katsudon.
I enjoyed munching on this bowl of happiness.
That shredded beef followed me up to Kyoto.
Ummmm... I can still smell the chili powder
The Kyoto batch of breakfast bread.  Thanks Family mart!
With a great collection of hentai stuff, huh! That is what you call one stop shop.
A different version of the all time favorite Katsudon
It never fails to brighten up an afternoon
Some custard bread while walking away from Fushimi Inari Shrine
The much anticipated omurice with demi glace sauce.
This meal is one of the best that I had, I have always wanted to try one at Japan
Thanks 'Lunch Queen' for building up this dish it didn't disappoint my expectations,
Good thing was I was able to share the story with my friends over the said dish.
It was never as good as what I had at Osaka but this meal was still delicious
I was not able to try one full meal of curry myself, but a spoonful was enough.
Thanks for sharing Enee!  I wished I had one instead.
A complete meal for dinner, damn that tofu what was in it? (one over the noodle soup)
I never imagined tofu to taste like that, salty-sweet and it has a good texture too. Oishii!
I would definitely come back for more.
There you go.  I was playing it safe so I never did try anything out of the ordinary maybe next time.  For the meantime bear with what I had.  Thanks, remember to say 'Itadakimasu' before eating; There is no straight forward interpretation so I decided (for a roman catholic like me) it would mean 'Bless us, O Lord, and these, Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment